In this section, you will learn what is involved with living in Steel House.
- Basic information about fees and more…
- Parking in the purple spaces
An Introduction to Steel House
- Steel House can house up to 35 residents. There are three single rooms, several doubles, and four triples. Single rooms are typically given only to returning residents.
- Fees for the 2017-2018 school year are: $6,500 for a double and $7,600 for a single. Fees include room, board, Internet, laundry facilities, and food. Fees are paid at the beginning of each semester. We ask that you pre-arrange to pay housing fees by the end of August for fall semester (half the above amount) and the remainder by the end of January.
- Steel House meets on-campus living requirements for all freshmen attending the University of Idaho.
- Students from freshmen through graduate school live in Steel House. Because we are so centrally located, our home is easily accessible to most campus buildings.
- Fees are payable in two installments: August 29th (for fall semester) and January 29th (spring semester)
- A $250 damage deposit and signed housing agreement save a space in Steel House. (Go to “sign in” tab to access contract)
- Availability in Steel House is on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Residents generally sleep on a “sleeping porch” located on the top floor. This is very popular with the residents because of the 24-hour quiet requirement. This way, one resident can stay up as late as she wants while her roommate heads up to the porch for a good night’s sleep.
Steel House residents are eligible for parking in the “purple” areas of campus. The list of residents is sent over to the parking office the first week of classes. After that date, residents may purchase their purple permits. However, during the first two weeks of classes, vehicles are NOT ticketed in the purple spaces. This allows ample time for students to purchase their permits. There is NO onsite parking at Steel House so everyone with a vehicle must purchase a purple permit.
Given the problems in the past with non-therapy pets residing in Steel House, the Steel House Board of Directors wants to remind the residents about Item 21 in the 2016-2017 Resident’s contract that they have signed which states:
- Pets. No animals living outside of a tank shall be permitted in the Resident’s Room or within or upon the premises. Upon prior approval by Steel House, Inc., an exception to this policy will be made for trained service animals or otherwise pursuant to the Americans With Disabilities Act, (including the Fair Housing Act requirements) for qualified persons with a disability.
Therapy pets must meet all of the University of Idaho requirements for this type of animal before the therapy pet is allowed inside Steel House.